I’ve had a lot of luck with work experiences and met some truly awe-inspiring & knowledgeable people. I love telling stories about these times, so below are a few of the Research & Development Projects, including those I worked deeply on and other collaboration projects. On the Training Page is a list of the teaching and training that I’ve delivered on Computer Science, Software Engineering and Data Science. I am always learning something new and I enjoying writing up the ‘why and how’ via reflections and creative (yet founded) predictions. These are published on the Blog Page. You’ll find some of my client projects linked under the Portfolio Nav menu and some videos on YT. If you’d have any requests, issues, comments, improvements or would like to view/download My Portfolio, please feel free to drop an me email or DM.
Below, starts with my most recent Research, Collaborations , Publications and finally Portfolio:
ReSEARCH & Development
‘Build a Lightstage’ Project (2015-).
Keywords: Photometric Stereo; Physics Simulation; Geometry; Numerical Optimisation; OpenGL Visualisations; Agri-tech; 3d Reconstruction; Feeding the Future; Morphological Identification; Climate Change Resilience in Crops.
This is my first post-doctoral research project at Aberystwyth University with funding from University’s Research Fund grant (URF) and supported by National Plant Phenomics Centre, UK. Principal Investigator is Dr. Hannah Dee. The project involved the following:
- Open Source Experimental Framework, for numerical optimisation using Computer Vision techniques and exporting results to the platform.
- Designing numerical physics methodology to evaluate light and camera positioning for data capture, using less and improved data, for Photometric Stereo, Structure-from-Motion and 3d Reconstruction pipelines. (Dedicated website details here).
- Building the Spherical Lightstage Structure and triggered image capture platform, see details on Dr. Dee’s post.
‘Self-Healing Architectures Against Malware’ PhD Project (2011-15)
Keywords: Self-Healing Systems; Cyber Security; Artificial Immune Systems; Distributed; Computer Network; Peer-to-Peer; Decentralised; Industrial Control Systems; Robotics; Manufacturing; Critical National Infrastructure.
- Researched Self-Healing Systems from Cyber Attacks on Critical Infrastructure and Manufacturing Automation devices, such as Industrial Control Systems and SCADA networks.
- The PhD thesis experimentation focused on an intelligent Artificial Immune System framework called CARDINAL.
- Designed Machine Learning Pipelines for Network Security datasets, including phases: feature selection, self-supervised Fuzzy-clustering, supervised C4.5 decision tree. Co-authored results in Cyberspace Safety and Security 2013 proceedings paper and Journal of Computers 2014 article.
- Reformatted, maintained and host the CSIC 2010 HTTP Dataset in CSV Format for training Machine Learning models applied to web application security, a subcategory of Network Security problems.
Other COLLABORATION R&D Projects include:
- Cyber Security Robotic Testbed for SCADA Networks — Design, procure, build, write & test code for a programmable logic controller (PLC) attack testbed. Network dataset collection for Stuxnet/Flame style attacks. The hardware used was Siemens S7-312 series PLC with CP343-1 networking module, distributed communication processor CP343-2P over an actuator sensor interface (AS-I) bus to operate a robotic grabber and arm with seven degrees of freedom.
- Cyber Security Dataset — Hosted, maintained & supported reformatted revisions of the CSIC 2010 HTTP web penetration and network attack dataset for the network security machine learning community.
- Data Mining Publications on Network Security Datasets — Design, write & test the C4.5 decision tree with a modified mutual information feature selection (MMIFS) algorithm resulting in improved performance on KDDCup datasets. Collaboration with Dr. Jingping Song.
- Data Mining on Biological Pathway Investigations — Combined >500 curated biomodels (from EBI) using SBML libraries with chemical protein interaction datasets (from STITCH) to explore chemical pathway patterns within the biological models.
- plus various others…
For a portfolio of software (and in cases, hardware) development projects including the operational roles and the development stacks used, please see the Workflows and Stacks page.
If you are interested in my work or you’d like to Download My Portfolio (10 pages, full of techie stuff), then please ping me an email or a DM with your name and request and I will reply within 24 hrs.